Sunday, September 2, 2007

Tubing on the Shenandoah River


Today I went tubing on the Shenandoah River as part of a bachelor party for my friend Brian. This is the company that rented us the tubes, dropped us off, and picked us up.


There is lots of stuff going on in this picture. In the background you can see one of the buses on its way to drop off some people with a bunch of tubes in tow. In the foreground is the tent where we dropped off our liability forms. Also in the foreground are more portable toilets. Portable toilets are becoming an all-too-common theme in my blog. This also counts as an action shot since that random guy is running and my camera snapped him in mid-stride.


It was a bus like this that took us to the drop-off point.


The sign for the Harpers Ferry Flea Market. It seemed busy.


This is Wilt's Fruit Stand. Wilt is an interesting name for somebody in the produce business, which apparently Wilt has been for nearly 50 years, according to the sign which is hard to make out in this picture.


Here is the tube. We got the deluxe model. Also featured is my backpack. It is dry in this picture. It stayed dry for all of about 30 seconds as I slipped and fell trying to get on the tube while keeping it dry.


This is a picture of the Shenandoah River from the first set of rocks I stopped on.


There are lots of rocks on the Shenandoah.


For fun I altered that last picture using the crude tools available to me in MS Photo Editor. I got rid of three sets of people (one group and two individuals). They're barely recognizable in the reduced format PhotoBucket stores, anyway.


Lots and lots of rocks. There are people in this picture, too, but I just left them there.


Another view of the river, from pit-stop number 2.


There are rocks above the river, too.


Playing with the zoom feature again.


I think this is Harpers Ferry. I'm not sure though.


So this was supposed to be whitewater tubing. Here is some whitewater. Nothing too vigorous. I went down the left side on this picture. This was the only picture I took while I was on the water. I am semi-waterproof, but my camera is not in any way waterproof at all.


This is a bridge over the river.


I spotted a tube without a rider making its way down the river, so I thought I would take a picture of it. I got a picture without a tube. So this is just another picture of a rock in the water.


A picture of the river from the bridge, looking upstream.


A picture of the rocks, vegetation, and whatnot.


The Virginia welcome sign and the end of the ride for the whitewater tubing.


These are some bonus pictures of a stretch Ford Excursion limousine.


Inside . . .


. . . and out.


And back inside. This is the back seat.


One last look at a bunch of glasses and the bar inside. I left the party when it transferred to the limo, so that's it for the pictures. MySpace probably wouldn't let me publish pictures of what went on past this point, anyway.

Sunday, September 02, 2007 

Category: Friends

No comments:

Post a Comment