Sunday, July 8, 2007

22nd Annual Salute to Independence


I set out today to go to the 22nd Annual Salute to Independence at the Antietam National Battlefield, which, if you're from the North, is near the town of Sharpsburg.  This is a picture of my father's new flag and flag pole, which I saw as I set out on my trip.


This is the Antietam, looking south from a bridge.


This is the Antietam, looking north.


This is an old cannon. I believe it is a Parrott Rifle cannon. More careful composition would almost certainly have eliminated the row of portable toilets in the background.


These are new cannons.


Park Rangers estimated 35,000 people attended. Here are some of them.


Here are some more.


And here are some more. The Park Service web site says there were 22,720 casualties in the one day of fighting at Antietam. So that would be like most of the people in these three pictures.


Here is the Maryland Symphony Orchestra on stage.


Sunday, July 08, 2007 

No comments:

Post a Comment