Saturday, July 12, 2008

Another day geocaching


I was setting out on another geocaching trip when I tried to take a picture of some balloons floating away, but my camera kept shutting down because the batteries I switched out were not charged enough. Twice. The balloons were pretty far away by the time I managed to find some batteries that allowed me to snap a picture.


I went to a park sort of close to my house and wandered back a nice paved trail, and then off it, following my GPS. I saw this container laying out in the open near ground zero and was worried that it might be a "muggled" cache container. But I kicked it around and found it to be filled with some viscous red fluid. It put me in the mind of fake blood. I have no idea what it was, but I am glad it wasn't the cache. Which meant I still had to find it.


There were a lot of places to hide a cache, just in the rocks.


There were plenty of nooks and crannies. You know, I've never heard of crannies ever existing apart from nooks.


Would you believe this was not all of the rocks? And that's just the rocks. There's nothing saying that the cache was hidden amongst the rocks. OK, it was hidden amongst the rocks. But it didn't have to be.


I was about to give up on that last cache. I had spent a lot of time on it. This cache I just walked right up to and spotted it right away from the direction I came. I guess it is kind of hard to see in this picture because it is not very big.


Here's another picture with everything but the cache container darkened. It's also partly obstructed by a tree branch in this picture. Anyway, take my word for it, it was an easy find.


From there, I went to another area of the park, near this playground.


And this soccer field.


And this bench. The cache was somewhere amongst these things.


I call this picture "I can't find my shoes!"


I took a picture of this butterfly while I was out walking through the woods. At first I thought it was a moth because of its wings. But having consulted the Butterflies and Moths of North America web site, I think it might be Phyciodes phaon, a.k.a. a Phaon Crescent butterfly. I reported it, so maybe I will find out if I am right or wrong. Either way, here it is, several times its real size. The optical zoom on my camera strikes again.


Last, I was also playing with the manual settings on my camera to try to get a nice picture of the moon. This one is about as good as it gets with my camera. The automatic setting always over-exposes the moon so it comes out a big white ball with no detail. And that's the end of this day's tale.


Saturday, July 12, 2008 

Category: Life

No comments:

Post a Comment