Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Drivesicles


Why is my hard drive in the freezer? Supposedly freezing hard drives can help if they crash, which mine did last week. Fortunately, the drive did not totally fail and I think I've been able to get most of the data off of it. I put the drive in the freezer for a little over four hours. I'm not sure if it helped or not. I wasn't able to get at any more data than before, but maybe it helped to forestall its total demise. I also moved my computer into the garage, which was around 40 degrees, while I tried to get the data back.


Freezing drives was news to me. My friend Jeff told me about it last week when I told him my drive had crashed. I found plenty of people on the internet talking about it. I think this guy probably went too far.


In this picture, the drive on top of the case is the drive I bought two years ago to back up my data. I think the ideal time to do this would have been before my drive crashed, eh? The moral of the story is this: back up your data. But nobody ever does. Unfortunately, I backed up the failing data on the hard drive onto a Seagate FreeAgent external drive--which also failed. I'm not sure how much I lost from that. The moral of that story is: don't use Seagate FreeAgent drives to store anything important.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 

Category: Life

No comments:

Post a Comment