Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Little More On CAM 2008


I attended the CAM 2008 picnic, held in the McKeldin Area of the Patapsco Valley State Park. There were over a hundred people there I think.


This is the path I took to get to the picnic. Depending on how you want to look at it, the picnic was either a little over 60 miles from my house or something over 1700 miles away, which is how many miles I wound up driving to all of the different caches. Or somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 to $300 in gas. Ouch. Google Maps estimated the total driving time at 33 hours. Some other places I could have visited by driving 1700 miles (one-way): Minot, North Dakota; Denver, Colorado; Corpus Christi, Texas. I could have just about driven round-trip to Daytona Beach, Florida.


I didn't take pictures at the picnic. It was kind of well underway by the time I got there. It wound up mid-afternoon, which left me daylight, which of course meant that I went after a few caches before I headed home. The first was on this trail. There were a half dozen different cachers there by the time I got there. Somebody else made the find here.


These are the rapids for which the trail is so aptly named.


The second cache I found was on the top of a ridge in the park. Stepping past this tree, which is just past the location of the cache, would be a bad idea. The picture doesn't quite do it justice. It kind of looks flat. Just trust me it was steep.


Just some trees I saw along the way to the third cache I was looking for.


And this is the container for the third cache I found.


It was on this trail. That's a nice sign at the start of this trail. The only problem is--this isn't the trail I went in on. But I managed to walk along roads almost the entire way back to my car, so it wasn't too bad.


Sunday, May 04, 2008 

Category: Life

No comments:

Post a Comment