Saturday, April 19, 2008

MCI Drill & Eden Mill (The First Time)

On this day, I participated at a mass casualty drill at the Hagerstown Regional Airport. The scenario was basically that an airplane and the airport were shot up by a bunch of bad guys. Here are some emergency vehicles waiting for the all-clear to be given.

This is one of the vehicles the Washington County Special Response Team brought in to subdue the bad guys.

This is 753, patiently waiting behind our ambulance for the all-clear. We got the all-clear and then half way to the airport, they told us the scene was no longer secure, and so we waited again.

Once the scene was safe, the officers started setting up a triage area and assigning officers to command staff.

More fire engines. I don't know what happened on the fire side. I was here as a volunteer EMT.

This is what happened on the medical side. Anyone who could walk got to walk to the green tarp. The red tarp is being set up. You don't want to be on the red tarp. Of course, that might beat being on no tarp, but probably not by much.

That's how I spent the morning. With just two weeks to go until the CAM 2008 picnic, I had found only 2 out of the 10 caches needed to attend the picnic. I decided to go to Eden Mill after the MCI drill. You might notice that is seems a little dark here.

That's because Eden Mill is a little over two hours from my house and I didn't get there until about an hour before sunset. After the sun set, it was just me and the critters. This little toad is about an inch and a half long. I couldn't get my camera to take a picture that wasn't completely washed out like this.

Geocaching is probably a bad idea if you are a fly.

Yup. Bad idea. As long as I can see the spiders crawling away from me, me, it doesn't bother so much.

It was plenty dark by the time I left, which is why all these pictures are taken with a flash. This stick is stuck in the muck, of which there was considerable quantity beside the trail. I realized a little later on that it was stuck there by someone who had a lot better idea of how to search for the cache than me. Ultimately, I stuck about four sticks in the ground to map out how the satellites were tracking the coordinates. While that was interesting, it wasn't getting me any closer to the cache because the coordinates were a little off, relatively speaking.

The only thing worse than driving two hours to find a cache is driving two hours to spend mutiple hours to find no cache, which is exactly what I found at Eden Mill. This might have been a good spot. But it wasn't it.

At around 11:00 p.m., I heard an extended horn blast from the general area of my car. I really didn't intend to be out this late. I was getting cold, and after hiking back to my car earlier to my flashlight, and then hiking back to get some bug repellent, and then hiking back to find who knows what at my car, I didn't have a fourth trip back out into the dark in me. Eden Mill would have to wait for another day, which also turned out to be a night. The only thing I got for this trip was this picture, which is probably tied with my picture of Cascade Falls as my favorite of CAM.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 

Category: Life

No comments:

Post a Comment