Sunday, August 17, 2008

Another Geocaching Tale


This is the inside of my new(er) car. I was just testing the camera batteries. They failed when I was trying to take the picture of the geocaching site. So you get to see the inside of my car!


Another cannon. My blog seems to have several pictures of them.


Cemeteries are another common theme. That's what's on the other side of this wall. The cache was hidden somewhere in this wall.


I saw this backpack laying near a cache site. If it's yours, this is where you left it.


This is a nice arch, connected to nothing. 115 years ago, maybe. But not now.


Back in this little corner? Another cache.


These critters were watching me retrieve the cache. They had better not muggle it!


A willow tree. In a graveyard. Of course.


Another park, another playground.


And a radio tower. The cache is not near either of these two things. Unfortunately, I do not know exactly where it is because I didn't find it.


This could have been a cache container. But it wasn't.


It's been a while since the satellite studio has broadcasted remotely--unless this counts.


I spent five hours climbing over a mountain today, starting here.


Eventually I reached this view.


And this other part of it. The cache was elsewhere, but nearby.


Some rocks.


Which is where I found the cache.


This is not my picture. It was taken by a family of geocachers in the same spot that I was earlier, though. You can read about their find here. I thought capturing two snakes of two species in one picture was interesting, so I borrowed it for my blog here. I kind of wish I had taken this picture and I am almost as relieved to have not. Notice that there are two snakes in this picture--a Timber Rattlesnake in the front and a Copperhead in the rear, both poisonous. If you read their log entry for the cache you will see that they actually found three snakes. There are also two other good pictures. I didn't read their log entry until after I got home to enter my own, so I had nothing to worry about while I was digging around in those rocks. I did, however, after 20+ years of hiking around on this mountain, see the first live snake I remember ever seeing today. I believe it was the back end of a copperhead--I didn't see the head so I can't know for sure. All I saw was the tail end sliding silently around a log about fifteen feet from me and down under some rocks near the ones I was standing on. It sure made poking around for the cache more interesting! I didn't find the one I was looking for at the time when I saw the snake, though, so I will have to go back another time to look for it. Maybe winter!


Sunday, August 17, 2008 

Category: Life

No comments:

Post a Comment