Monday, August 18, 2008

A Toad and a Road


I thought I'd show everybody what geocaching at night looks like. This is the trail I walked down to find the Lil' Sinoquipe cache.


Eventually I came to this opening between two rocks.


And down in there, between the two rocks, was the ammo box cache.


I signed the log and headed back out into the dark.


I'm still taking pictures of the moon to see how they turn out.


The next day I went out to try to find some more caches. But I didn't find any. I didn't see any sankes either. I did see this toad. His body was about an inch and a half long.


This road is near where I was hunting the cache.


It's closed.


Here's why.


When you take this tool . . .


And use it to break up the bridge supports (this hole is where they used to be) . . .


This is what you get! This used to be Interstate 70 West.


This picture has a better sectional view of the road surface.


Fortunately, engineers thought to divert the highway traffic away from the giant ditch. This is the temporary bridge they built to take the place of the one they knocked down (and plan to rebuild). I stood under this bridge for a while as traffic rolled over it. It seems remarkably stable. The only things that moved it at all were tractor-trailers. Strangely, except to the engineers maybe, the only part that really moved were the diagonal crossmembers. Since I was standing under it, that was probably a good thing.


Monday, August 18, 2008 

Category: Life

No comments:

Post a Comment