Monday, August 25, 2008

Flowers, Orbs, etc.


So I will start off this blog entry with pictures of my parents' flowers.


One half of the birds and the bees.


Usually I crop these to 800 x 600, but this one just didn't work out that way.


They have some yellow flowers.


They have some red flowers.


They have some purple flowers.


And some pink flowers. Enough with the flowers, on to the geocaching.


I've spent the past two weekends hunting several caches that are supposed to be on or near the Appalachian Trail. See this rock? Surely that can't be there normally, I thought.


But I thought wrong. Nothing under it but ants.


I thought this would be a good spot. The cache owners obviously didn't.


I did find these bugs hiding in a tree stump. I have no idea what they are. They looked like mutant crickets.


I'm liking the hollow tree stumps for hiding caches.


This is what is inside the tree. There are some bugs, but that's about it.


Another hollow stump. With nothing in it. I have found some caches in similar locations. But not here!


I am not the only one looking for these things. When I see a stick stuck in the ground like this, I am pretty sure that somebody here marked the coordinates given for the location of the cache and began searching from there.


While looking for the cache, which I didn't find, I found two of these things, about 20 feet apart.


So this is my ghost picture. I don't think it's a ghost, but I dont' know what it is. By "it" I mean the small gray ball in the upper right corner of the picture. It could be an orb. It also could be a bug.


It's gone now. And I took these pictures at more or less the same time. They both have the same timestamp (to the minute, anyway).


I lightened up the picture to see the background and I liked the way it turned out. So here it is. That bent tree in the background, by the way? Another good place for a cache. Yeah--no. Nothing there. Or anywhere else I looked. So I will have to return some day. Or night. Or both.


I walk into spider webs all the time while I am out in the woods. Apparently, I think the same way as a fly, and the spider knows that we think that way.


It wasn't too long while I was trying to get a good picture of the web before the lights attracted bugs, which meant there was dinner for the spider. This picture is a little overexposed but it shows the spider web well.


This one is a little under exposed, but it shows the spider better. So spiders and critters I found aplenty, but caches I found none. I will return another day to find whatever is there.


Monday, August 25, 2008 

Category: Life

No comments:

Post a Comment